Great news coming from Manx Harriers Easter Festival of Running committee Chris Quine, David Ronan and Michelle Stevens.
- A new headline sponsor for the 2017 Festival. First Names Group, a leading independent provider of trust, fund, real estate and corporate services, has agreed to help the Festival for the next three years.
Festival Director Chris Quine says “First Names Group, which has an operation in Douglas, has a real focus on people whether that be its staff, its clients or the community in which it operates. We’re really excited about the association with First Names Group who will be encouraging staff to be involved in the Festival”.
Craig Brown, Managing Director of First Names (Isle of Man) Limited says “We are delighted to sponsor the event and hope that, with our support for the next three years, the Festival continues to flourish! A number of our First Names already participate in the Festival and as Chris has said we will be encouraging more to take part.”
- After careful consideration, they are trying something different on Easter Sunday……………
The women will run a 5k race as usual and this will be followed by a 5k race rather than a relay for the men too. It was recognised that many people enjoy the tradition and camaraderie of the relay, however it was felt that making it a straight race will be more encouraging to those who are not part of a team and also to the slower runners who are left to finish long after most people have gone home.
There are a few other benefits:
– It will be possible to complete the team event with just three runners, as the women can do at the moment.
-Times will count for Power of 10/5k road PBs
– It might create a better head-to-head for the overall Festival win
– A less strung-out event should make it safer with other users on the Prom
– The start can be slightly later and still finish slightly earlier
– Less helpers will be needed at sign-on so they can be moved onto the course to improve marshaling
This will be piloted for one year and then assessed as to whether to make it a permanent change or revert back to the relay.
Race times will be:
10.30 – women
11.15 – men
- The website www.easterfestival.info has been revamped into a more modern and user-friendly format. The previous site was built around 2007 and Paul Jackson did a great job building and maintaining it. However, technology has moved on and a more up-to-date feel was needed. Most of the information that was on the old site is still there (just use the “search” function) as well as a link to the entry system.
New content will be added over the coming months.